How to make beautiful fluffy pancakes this Pancake Day, I can almost smell them now! What’s fun is you can have these as main, dessert or both!
Jamie Oliver’s One Cup pancakes are the best – and you don’t even need scales to weigh out the ingredients! All you need is a cup or a mug – making these the easiest pancakes to make with kids!
1 large free range egg
1 cup of self raising flour
1 cup of milk
1. To make the batter, crack the egg into a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the flour, milk and a tiny pinch of sea salt.
3. Whisk everything together until you have a lovely, smooth batter.
4. Fold through the blueberries, if using.
5. Put a large frying pan on a medium heat and after a minute or so, add ½ tablespoon of oil.
6. Carefully tilt the pan to spread the oil out evenly.
7. Add a few ladles of batter to the pan, leaving enough space between each one so they have room to spread out slightly – each ladleful will make one pancake, and you’ll need to cook them in batches.
8. Cook the pancakes for 1 to 2 minutes, or until little bubbles appear on the surface and the bases are golden, then use a fish slice to carefully flip them over.
9. When the pancakes are golden on both sides, use a fish slice to transfer the pancakes to a plate.
10. Repeat steps 5 to 9 with the remaining batter, adding ½ tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches, if needed.
11. Serve the pancakes straight away, topped with a dollop of natural yoghurt, and some extra berries, if you like.
Chorizo and scrambled egg pancakes
01.Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan, then cook 1 red onion, sliced, over a medium heat for 10 minutes. Remove to a bowl. In the same pan, fry 250g cooking chorizo, skinned and crumbled, for 15 minutes or until cooked, then add to the onion with a handful of chopped fresh flat leaf parsley.
02.In a pan, melt a knob of butter, then add 6 medium free-range eggs, beaten, and a splash of milk. Season. Cook gently, stirring, until just set. Divide the egg and chorizo among 6 pancakes, then serve scattered with grated cheddar and sliced spring onion.
For more Savory pancakes you could try:
Classic cheese and ham
Goats cheese, rocket and caramelized red onion chutney
Bacon and egg
Chorizo and scrambled egg
For more Sweet pancakes you could try:
Chocolate, Peanut Butter and banana
Lemon and Sugar